SML Democrats Activities
- Election Activity Dates
- Early In-Person Voting – Friday, September 23, through Saturday, November 5
- Absentee Voting – Now through Tuesday, November 8
Note: The deadline to request an absentee ballot is Friday, October 28.
- Poll Workers Dinner and Workshop – Thursday, November 3
- Election Day – Tuesday, November 8
Don’t forget that there has been redistricting and some of us will discover that we are voting in a new location. This occurred in both Bedford and Franklin Counties. You can find your voting location by going to vote.elections.virginia.gov and clicking “Find Your Polling Place.” The areas most affected are those who voted in Scruggs and Moneta Elementary School.
- Election Night Dinner – Tuesday, November 8
- Last day to vote by mail – must be postmarked by Tuesday, November 8
- Open Table / Open Minds (formerly the Racism Forum) – Wednesday, November 2
- Fundraising & Events Committee – Mondays, November 7 and 28
- Election Support Poll Meeting – Wednesday, November 9
- Book Club – Tuesday, November 15
The current book is Premonition, a Pandemic Story by Michael Lewis
- General Membership Meeting – No meeting in November
- Road Clean-Up – will return in March 2023
- Holiday Party – Tuesday, December 6
RSVP and pre-payment required; please call the office for details
- Vibes – every Sunday
Our community outreach Play-and-Sing-Along is going strong. Feel free to join in with our lively group, anyone who would like to sing or play an instrument (or just listen), is welcome.
Details on times and locations are provided in the Member Newsletter that is sent by email. If you prefer a calendar view, see below.
- School Board Meetings
Our presence at local School Board meetings goes a long way to balance out the meetings with reasonable voices countering misinformation and fear about topics such as Critical Race Theory, book bannings, curriculum concerns, LGBTQ+ issues, and more. If you would like to speak at one of these meetings, please look up your county of residence school board protocol and plan accordingly. Note: You must live in the county where you wish to speak. You do NOT need to reside in the county if you simply wish to attend.
Bedford County: Thursday, November 10, at 5 pm
The location of the Bedford County School Board Meetings varies from month to month; this month, the meeting will be held at JFHS Auditorium, 1 Cavalier Circle in Bedford.
Franklin County: Monday, November 14, at 6 pm – note the new time!
25 Bernard Road, Rocky Mount
Here are some reasons why you should attend or speak at your county’s School Board meeting.
- Franklin County Democrats Upcoming Events
- Regular office hours have begun. Activities include clerical, housekeeping, greeting visitors and assisting the DeVaughan for Congress campaign as directed.
- Election Activities are in full swing! Send an email to ask a question or get more information. Please note that we need tables at the polls to show Democrats’ presence in our county. There is a need for people to be at Rocky Mount East and Rocky Mount West polls. If you’re interested, call the poll tables organizer at 540-493-7864.
Democratic Activities Further Afield
- More to come…!
Let’s Go Blue Together
Office at Halesford Center
16483 Moneta Road, Suite J
Moneta, VA 24121
Open 11 am – 3 pm
P.O. Box 897
Hardy, VA 24101
SML Democrats includes members from communities around Smith Mountain Lake: Bedford, Glade Hill, Goodview, Hardy, Huddleston, Moneta, Penhook, Redwood, Union Hall, Westlake and Wirtz.