In March 2006, the Smith Mountain Lake Democrats was formed by a group of women who decided to hold regular meetings and open the club to anyone interested in joining a Democratic club at the lake.
About 50 people attended the first official meeting in April 2006. They elected officers and named the club. Often called the “Lake Dems,” they developed a vibrant organization that continues to grow. Their early accomplishments remain part of our club’s activities today.
- They appointed officers and set up a steering committee.
- They established five committees: Political Outreach, Legislative Watch, Issues, Event Planning & Fund Raising, and Public Relations & Media. Over time, we’ve added committees to address new needs; Election Support and the Racism Focus Group are examples.
- They established a working relationship with Bedford and Franklin County Democratic Committees and the 5th Congressional District Organization.
- They coordinated successful fundraisers for candidates for many local, state and federal offices.
- They worked actively on the campaigns for national, state and local offices.
- They funded, organized and staffed campaign offices for elections.
- They engaged in many service projects around the area, including Adopt-A-Highway; Lake Christian Ministries; Good Neighbors; Tackling Hunger and Nutrition Project; SML Charity Home Tour; and Children’s Assistive Technology Services (CATS). They established a permanent community service within the club: the SML Democrats Road Cleanup Crew maintains a one-mile section of Highway 122.
- They hosted a variety of speakers and presented information on current issues.
For more information about current club activities, visit our Members section. Join us for social events, community service, and, of course, election activities.
Early newspaper clippings from 2006-2007. The first Steering Committee gathers on a deck after a meeting. The SML Democrats attended the 5th District Democratic Committee in 2007.
Let’s Go Blue Together
Office at Halesford Center
16483 Moneta Road, Suite J
Moneta, VA 24121
Open 11 am – 3 pm
P.O. Box 897
Hardy, VA 24101
SML Democrats includes members from communities around Smith Mountain Lake: Bedford, Glade Hill, Goodview, Hardy, Huddleston, Moneta, Penhook, Redwood, Union Hall, Westlake and Wirtz.