Good things happen when Democrats are in charge! Democrats are committed to and engaged in the serious business of governing our country. When they are in charge, good things happen for the American people. Here’s a list of accomplishments over the past two years. (Largely from Accomplishments: Joe Biden.)
- The Inflation Reduction Act is working! Inflation and gas prices are lower than last year. The economy remains strong and the January jobs report showed 223,000 new jobs, putting the total new jobs under the Biden administration at 10 million (from NDN).
- The Bipartisan Infrastructure Law is creating new jobs to repair and upgrade roads, bridges, ports, airports, public transit, and supply chains, and is the largest investment in clean energy ever.
- Improved healthcare for veterans with the PACT Act.
- The CHIPs and Science Act is strengthening manufacturing in the US, lowering costs of everyday goods, creating good-paying jobs and bolstering national security.
- The Bipartisan Safer Communities Act requires people under 21 to undergo enhanced background checks, closes the “boyfriend loophole,” and provides funding to address youth mental health.
- The American Rescue Plan helped combat COVID-19 and supercharged a historic economic recovery.
- The Respect for Marriage Act became law. Every Democrat representing Virginia voted yea on the bill.
- The January 6 Committee investigated the insurrection in 2021 and has started the process of holding people in leadership positions accountable for their actions on that day.
- Strengthened the Affordable Care Act by expanding eligibility and extending open enrollment.
- The Senate passed the $1.7 trillion government funding bill before Christmas. It included:
- a provision allowing states to use leftover pandemic funds for infrastructure projects.
- investment in education, childcare, healthcare, National Institute of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, mental health programs, food security programs, housing and heating assistance, the Environmental Protection Agency, the National Park Service, the National Science Foundation, state and local law enforcement.
- pay raises for members of the armed forces, provides supplemental funding for Ukraine aid and for disaster relief.
- reform of the Electoral Count Act to prevent another plan to overturn an election.
- funding for prosecutions stemming from the January 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.
Let’s Go Blue Together
Office at Halesford Center
16483 Moneta Road, Suite J
Moneta, VA 24121
Open 11 am – 3 pm
P.O. Box 897
Hardy, VA 24101
SML Democrats includes members from communities around Smith Mountain Lake: Bedford, Glade Hill, Goodview, Hardy, Huddleston, Moneta, Penhook, Redwood, Union Hall, Westlake and Wirtz.